Thursday, April 26, 2012

Cherokee Forgiveness as the Sublime

I was registered for another Arts 310 accredited course this semester and I talked about why I thought that Cherokee Forgiveness, or any step in a forgiving direction from the American Indians, could be considered the "Sublime".

First, the Sublime as I discussed it is a philosophy or a way of interpreting art.  It means is “to elevate or exalt especially in dignity or honor” or “to convert into something of higher worth”.  I argued that in the face of the atrocities experienced by the American Indians that it truly shows how they have taken something awful and turned it into their exalted honor and dignity and ultimately makes this forgiveness of true higher worth.  



above is a picture of the Carlisle Boarding School


above is a sculpture piece titled "End of the Trail".

No comments:

Post a Comment