Monday, January 16, 2012

First Day of Class

This Blog was created specifically to track my ideas through my American Indian Literature class at UNC-Asheville this Spring Semester of 2012.

The first day of class we watched part of a documentary about the American Indian portrayed in Hollywood Cinema.  I feel like the most effective part of the documentary, the portion that I saw, was how the interviewees were Native American themselves.  It was refreshing to hear their point of view on the subject of films starring Clint Eastwood and Charles Bronson.  I specifically remember the reaction to how the plains indians were portrayed--with headdresses and headbands, war paint.  Plains indians didn't even wear headbands.  The interviewee at the time said something along the lines of "It's like Hollywood took the identity of several tribes and just made them into one thing: Indian."  


No comments:

Post a Comment